Tuesday 19 June 2007

NPS # 5, Killaloe, Co. Limerick – Sat 16th May 2007

Once in a while, everyone has a bad day, today was my bad day! What looked like a super course, turned to shlomp with the previous days rain. A hard climb, straight up, and a long singletrack descent all the way back to the finish. Taylor mad for me, not in the mud! For some reason I never perform in the super muddy conditions.
Anyway, a mass start for all the main races meant a front row position was essential! I got a good start, and I was leading by half way down the first descent. However, super-elite Ryan passed me and I was never able to claw him back. To make things worse, I was passed on the third lap by another Master, Peter O! Unfortunately for him, a puncture sent him back to third by the end.
I fumbled my way through the remaining laps, taking the Masters win in very unspectacular fashion! I really should have been about 5 mins quicker!
I really have to sharpen up for the next NPS, only 2 weeks away on an amazing course in Douce woods in Wicklow, really looking forward to that! The new Element team should really shine there.
Got to mention Rocky Mountain stagiaire Philip Roche, a class young rider. Phil binned himself on the second lap and had to stop for 4 mins, but a determined fight got him back to second in the expert category, overtaking his teammate, Rich, on the last descent, see pics below, class!!!!!

Nice view

Mud, mud, mud!

Phil does the impossipass on the last descent!

No comments: