Thursday 17 April 2008

British NPS # XCO 1, XCM # 1, Thetford, Norfolk – Sat/Sun 12th/13th Apr 2008

My first Elite XCO race in the UK for 11 years, what could I expect. Evan and I got an early morning flight to Standsted, hired a car, and set off for Thetford. The race was at 3 so loads of time…..until a text from Robin at 12 said the race was now at 1! AGGGGGGHHHHH, mega rush to find the course, build the bikes in record time, straight to the start line, no lap, no warmup, but at least we were there!
The weather was great, and the tracks looked very dry.
Looking around the startline things were not as I remember. There was only about 45 elites, compared to the 70 I used to race with. Plus the whole event was missing something, maybe it was missing the stars of the mid 90s, Baker, Ford, Gould, etc…..Anyway, of we set, superfast flat fireroad, stones flying everywhere. I had heard the course was all singletrack, so I tried to stay in a reasonable position here. I got into the singletrack in a good place, and held on for a while. However, the pace was like the last 2km of an A road race, so I backed off a bit towards the end of the lap. The rest of the race was damage limitation, but I did manage to pas some riders.
The course was pretty cool, pancake flat, with 90% amazing singletrack, flat out, 30km/hr average, fast MTB ever for me!
I ended up 21st, a good bit off the front guys, kinda brutal. Evan pulled out on the 2nd lap, not fully recovered from his illness earlier in the week. The other Irish had a mixed race, Ryan had a huge crash after been cut up, Robin flatted out while int eh group for 3rd, but Conor had a great race to finish 3rd. Mel got an incredible 2nd in the Elite women, well done to her.
Back to the hotel to get ready for tomorrows marathon racing. I was doing the 50km race (shorter than the XCO the day before), and Evan was trying the 75km race in prep for the Trans Rockies in July. A good dinner and a crap movie and we were ready for bed.
Brekki was at 8 the next day for the early race start at 10. A similar day to sat and a similar course. I was in the 50km race, with about 100 riders. Off we went, and I immediately got into a good group of about 6 riders, with the 2 leaders off the front. I attacked a few times during the race and shed a couple of riders, down to 3 of us for 3rd. A couple more attacks from the other riders and I went out the back, but I managed to pass the 4th place guy before the finish of the race. 4th it was, not too shabby. Evan got a great 5th in the 75km race, buzzin at the finish. Ryan got an even better 3rd in the 100km race. Mel repeated her 2nd place from the day before, excellent.
All in all a good trip, not sure if I’ll do another, something seems to be missing from the races.
Busy few weeks coming up, K Cap Cup # 4 next weekend and then the NPS kicks off the week after that. Ohhh the legs are hurting already.

Hoofin it on the only kicker in the race!

XCO Report, results and pics
http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/site/BC/mtb/EventReports2008/20080412_nps_xc_round1_results.asp

XCM Report, results and pics
http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/site/BC/mtb/EventReports2008/20080413_whyte_enduro_round1.asp

No comments: