Tuesday 8 January 2008

Irish Cyclocross Champs, Tymon Park, Co. Dublin – Sun 6th Jan 2008

Well, I can finally say that my 2007 season is over, rounded off nicely with a 3rd place at the National Cyclocross Championships.
I am really happy with this result as there was real competition for the bronze medal. There would probably have been above 5 riders in with a shout of bronze, but I keep the head down over Christmas and I was in good form going into the race.
The gold and silver positions were really ever going to be contested by 2 riders, Pro MTB Rider Robin Seymour and Pro Road man Roger Aiken, so 3rd was the main goal.
The course was a mixed bag, some real nice fast straights and corners, and then some silly tight slow singletrack(?). I got a good start, straight into singletrack (why I don’t know). Rodger immediately got a gap, going from the gun, with Philip Roche in 2nd, commonwealth games competitor Lewis Ferguson in 3rd and Robin and I in 4th/5th. Robin got away in the 2nd singletrack and I disposed of Lewis and caught Philip by the end of the 1st lap. Real fast at this stage and not much tactics, 100% everywhere.
I attacked Philip on the 3rd lap and got a good gap, and increased it to 2 minutes by the end of the race.
Roger got the win from Robin, a great result. To be fair, Rodger was flying! Congrats to both of them.
My bike was real nice too, I got a pair of Zipp 303s with tubs, big difference. I also tidied it up with new bars/stem/seat post/saddle/drivechain….felt great. Thanks to Mark and Kevin for making all this happen, all contributes to the good result.

Thanks to promoting club IMBRC for a great event, now I have to come back next year and defend the bronze, ohhhh the pressure!

Phil and I do Battle

Roger takes the win

Robin in 2nd

Philip in 4th


Report
http://www.irishcycling.com/publish/news/art_2768.shtml

Images
http://www.irishcycling.com/publish/news/art_2769.shtml

No comments: