Thursday 29 March 2007

K Capital Cup Round 1, Kilruddery, Co. Wicklow - 11th March 2007

The first race of the season! Very early in the year, the K Capital Cup is a four race series early season series that concludes at the end of April. I will be racing in the masters class for this series as I have very little training done.
I only got in from Gran Canaria at midnight on Saturday last night, and I was a bit tired. I also only took delivery of my new race bike, a 2007 Rocky Mountain Vertex. I had to build it up on the morning of the race too.
Kilruddery is a classic site for a XC MTB race, and as Robin Seymour designed the course, it was not one bit boring.
The course was long, 8km, and conditions proved very slippery, not helped by my stock slick tyres. I got a poor start, and I was all over the place, strugging for grip. Disaster struck on the first lap, a puncture (waiting for UST wheels/tyres to be delivered). I fixed it in ~ 3mins, used the new 'inovative products' inflator (team sponsor), great little thing. Anyway, I was now at the back of the field, and it takes me the whole race to move up through and eventually I finish 3rd, not bad all things considering. Very annoyed with my tyre choice, but we'll have that sorted for the next race.
Robin Seymour takes the win in the elites from UK rider Aidrain Lansley, very exciting stuff. Roll on round # 2. My Teammate Paddy Daly put in a solid ride to take 11th in the Elites.

Big angry head on me here, fighting back after the puncture.

No comments: