Tuesday 24 July 2007

Irish National Championships, Newcastle, Co. Down – Sun 22nd July 2007

This was the big race, the Nationals! This was the one that I HAD to win this year. I had been racing since the start of march, and I was feeling tired going into the race.
2 laps on Saturday revealed a mixed course. The whole climb was a fast fireroad, all big ring. This would suit me well, being a big guy and all! The descent back to the finish was a mixed bag, technical and off camber for the first half, fast and flowy for the second half. The rain we have had for the last 8 weeks finally stayed away for race week, leaving a drying course with some slippy sections to keep it interested/dangerous.
My main rivals were all there, Peter O’Farrel, looking fit from his adventure racing, a recovered Gordon Lucas, and ex world cup elites Craig Brady and Don Travers making a return to racing.
Race day, and from the gun I took the lead, I had a good gap going into the descent only to be held up by a load of experts!! A couple of falls, and a burped tyre were cause for concern, but I soldiered on. I caught the Yvain Sogno (lead expert + 1 min) by the end of lap 2, and we stayed together until the last lap when I put the hammer down on the descent.
All in all, an easy win. Congrats to Peter in 2nd and Niall Q in 3rd, great racing there.
Also, well done to Elite winner Robin Seymour, his 15th straight title! Robin was in a class of his won, taking the win from Niall Davis and Irish # 2 roadman Roger Aiken.
I am very happy to retain my title, as it was the # 1 goal for the year. Now I can concentrate on the Maters Worlds in France in August, cant wait.

Report
irishcycling
Images
IMBRC
cycleseen

Giving it loads on the fireroad climb


Tech descents ruled the course!

Another tech drop!

Olympic hopefuls, Robin and Niall, battle it out!

No comments: