Thursday 29 May 2008

NPS # 3 - North Pole – Sun 25th May 2008

Ok, not quite the north pole, but way up near Larne in Antrim (still only 2:40 away, great new roads). Any, Hazo and I set out on sat, 5 hours of shopping in Ikea and I was knackerd, not ideal race prep.

Race day came, sunny, dry, but a little windy. Held on an old quarry, the course was actually quite good, flatish, nice drops and kicker climbs, lots of ST too. Very bumpy though, and I brought the vertex and not the element, bad choice. However, the venue was grim, crap start/finish area, cars parked 500 mtrs away, and no atmosphere…..not good enough for NPS imo.

The start was v fast, Luis Ferguson was flying, his first MTB race this year as he was concentrating on the road. His almost complety slick tyres were a ppor choice, and I’m sure this contributed to his race ending shunt on the 2nd lap. Anyway, I was 3rd after 3 laps, 50 secs back on Peter and Ryan, a long way back on such a fast course. I stuck at it, got better legs, and eventually caught them with 1 /12 laps to go. Starting the last lap we were all together, howver, Ryan attacked and I didn’t have it, I kinda sat up then, rolled in 3rd, good enough to hold onto 1st in the league.

Next up is Djouce on 15th June, cant wait, hope its dry……..

Off we go!

No comments: